askSARAH about your cancer care team
Find out how we're fighting cancer across our physician-led network.
Did you know that, on average, a patient sees up to eight cancer experts during the cancer journey from diagnosis through survivorship?
In order to help you stay connected with your multidisciplinary care team, Sarah Cannon provides nurse navigators specialized in your type of cancer to guide you from discovery to recovery. Who are these cancer experts and how do they help you?
- Oncologists are physicians who specialize in treating people with cancer. Some specialize in a certain type of cancer.
- Medical oncologist - Specializes in diagnosing and treating cancer patients with chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and targeted therapy. Medical oncologists are often the main healthcare provider for a cancer patient.
- Radiation oncologist - Treats cancer using high-energy radiation to kill cancer cells or shrink tumors.
- Surgical oncologist - Performs surgical procedures on cancer patients, including the removal of solid tumors. Surgical oncologists also perform biopsies to obtain tissue for diagnosis.
- Radiologist - Diagnoses cancer by interpreting imaging of areas inside the body.
- Interventional radiologist - Performs minimally invasive, image-guided procedures to diagnose and treat cancers without the use of surgery.
- Pathologist - Studies cells and tissues under a microscope and relays information about the cells to physicians to determine best treatment options.
- Reconstructive physician (plastic surgeon) - Surgically reshapes disfigurement that may occur as a result of cancer treatment.
- Palliative care physician (supportive care medicine) - Specializes in symptom management, side effects, psychological and social issues related to cancer to improve quality of life for the patient.
Depending on your type of cancer, you may see other specialists outside of the ones listed here.
Sarah Cannon provides convenient access to world leaders in cancer research and care close to home with hundreds of physician partners and more than 200 nurse navigators across the network in the United States and United Kingdom.