Lung cancer care in Kansas City
Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health provides comprehensive care for thoracic and lung cancer patients from early detection through screenings. Our dedicated lung cancer clinics offer fast diagnosis and effective treatment options.
Looking for a second opinion? We can help.
A second opinion can help you make an informed decision about your medical care. Getting a second opinion from an oncology expert at Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health is easy, convenient, secure and can all be done remotely.
Types of lung cancer we treat
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer-related deaths for both men and women worldwide. Lung cancer is categorized into two types:
- Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): NSCLC is the most common type of lung cancer and has three main types, which are determined by the type of cells found in the tumor. They include the following:
- Large-cell carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinomas
- Small cell lung cancer (SCLC): An aggressive form of cancer, most commonly caused by smoking. SCLC is often only discovered after it has spread extensively.
Symptoms of lung cancer
Diagnosing lung cancer requires screening by a medical professional, however, these are the most common symptoms:
- A cough that doesn't go away and gets worse over time
- Constant chest pain
- Coughing up blood
- Frequent lung infections such as bronchitis or pneumonia
- Shortness of breath or wheezing
Lung cancer screenings
The Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health is committed to bringing awareness and accessibility to all people at high risk for lung cancer by offering low-dose computerized tomography (CT) lung screening. The low-dose CT screening is proven to be more effective in detecting lung cancer than X-rays by detecting suspicious nodules.
Who qualifies for lung screening?
- Adults between 50 and 80* years old
- Those who have at least a 20 pack-year smoking history and are current smokers or have quit within the past 15 years
- No current signs or symptoms of lung cancer
- Patients that have had a Shared Decision-Making meeting with PCP
- Pack-year history calculated as number of packs of cigarettes smoked per day multiplied by number of years individual has smoked
*Must be 55-77 years old for Medicare
A CT scan requires a physician's order. Please talk with your doctor if you are interested in having this screening. Or, contact our lung navigator at (913) 274-5984 for more information or for help obtaining a physician’s order.
Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health is the only cancer support program in Kansas City to offer a lung prehab program for those newly diagnosed with lung cancer. Talk with your healthcare provider for a referral to cancer rehabilitation, to access our patient lung prehab educational packet and for assistance to implement a program specific for you. View our video playlist for basic exercises to support you during this time.
Lung cancer treatment
Depending on the type and stage of your lung cancer, your oncologist may recommend various treatment options including radiation therapy and chemotherapy. We also offer cancer rehabilitation to help you manage any side effects that cancer treatments may cause, including pain and fatigue.
Our support team and programs
Our cancer support program is designed to assist you with the resources needed to manage and overcome challenges throughout your treatment journey.
Our thoracic oncology nurse navigators offer clinical expertise, guidance and support to improve the patients' care experience, assist physicians and achieve quality outcomes. Nurse navigation benefits our patients through:
- Coordination of care including office visits and appointment scheduling
- Communication between all members of the healthcare team including:
- Medical oncologists
- Radiation oncologists
- Radiologists and pulmonologists
- Thoracic surgeons
- Family and caregiver support
- Individualized education
- Offering a consistent point of contact
- Ongoing assessment of needs including psychosocial, transportation, financial
Lung nodule program
Our lung nodule program provides prompt diagnosis and expedited care with the goal of detecting lung nodules earlier, diagnosing lung cancer at an earlier stage and ultimately, saving lives.
If an incidental lung nodule is found, the lung navigator contacts the physicians to discuss the patient's follow-up. The lung navigator also coordinates the plan of care, provides clinical assistance and supports the patient and their family.
Smoking cessation program
It’s never too late to quit. Stopping the use of any form of tobacco significantly improves your health and the health benefits of quitting smoking today will surprise you. You can actually begin to feel the benefits of quitting smoking within as little as 20 minutes.
The American Lung Association offers the Freedom From Smoking® program. This program helps you develop a plan of action that leads to your quit day. You’ll also get the support you need to remain smoke-free for life.
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
HCA Midwest Health is part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare. Our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7, and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (816) 448-7737 or visit askSARAHnow.