Kidney care in the Greater Kansas City area
At HCA Midwest, our kidney doctors (nephrologists) work to keep you and your kidneys in good health. Kidneys are a vital part of the body. Besides eliminating waste, they help with body functions such as regulating blood pressure and keeping electrolytes balanced.
For more information about kidney care (nephrology), call us at (800) 386-9355.
Our nephrology program
Nephrology is a medical specialty that deals with kidney care. Our nephrologists treat patients using a range of surgical and non-surgical techniques. Patients who need kidney surgery may also work with a urologist. Urologists treat conditions affecting the urinary system, which includes the kidneys.
Kidney conditions we treat
Our kidney specialists treat a variety of conditions, including:
- Acute renal failure
- Acute tubular necrosis (damage to the tubule cells of the kidneys)
- Hydronephrosis (swelling due to a build-up of urine)
- Kidney cancer
- Kidney diseases, such as IgA nephropathy and renal disease
- Kidney failure
- Kidney infections
- Kidney stones
- Nephrotic syndrome (the body excretes too much protein in the urine)
- Polycystic kidneys (cysts develop within the kidneys)
- Renovascular hypertension (high blood pressure due to narrowing of the arteries that carry blood to the kidneys)
Kidney diagnostic tests and treatments
We offer a wide range of diagnostic tests and treatment options. Imaging services used to assess kidney health include:
- Kidney ultrasound
- Kidneys, ureter, bladder (KUB) x-ray studies
- Magnetic resonance angiography
After diagnosing a kidney condition, we can move forward with a treatment plan tailored to your needs. This can include:
- Dialysis (blood filtering to treat kidney failure)
- Kidney transplant
- Lithotripsy (using shock waves or a laser to break down kidney stones)
- Nephrectomy (removal of one or both kidneys)
Nephrologists and surgeons at the Transplant Institute specialize in kidney transplantation. In fact, our locations at Research Medical Center and Lee's Summit Medical Center offer the only simultaneous kidney/pancreas transplant procedure in the area. The institute has earned a reputation for advanced research, positive patient outcomes and technical excellence.
Our transplant services include:
- A dedicated transplant unit with its own doctors, nurses and support staff
- Access to a transplant apartment for family members during the transplant procedure
- Access to the Midwest Transplant Network
- Assignment to a living donor transplant coordinator
For more information about our Transplant Institute, call (816) 822-8257.
Retrieving location data...