Neuroscience Institute in Kansas City
When you need help for a disorder or injury of the brain, spine or nerves, your healthcare quality takes on new significance. You want to be in the most capable hands from multiple specialties. You need access to advanced technology, procedures and care that is compassionate, convenient and coordinated.
HCA Midwest Health has seven locations committed to providing high-quality neuroscience services and access to some of the most cutting-edge clinical trials in the region.
To speak with one of our neurologists, you can schedule an appointment.
Neurological specialties we offer
At our HCA Midwest Health Neuroscience Institute, you’ll have access to multiple specialties—neurology and neurosurgery, neuroradiology, physiatry, advanced practice nursing and others as needed. From clinicians to office staff, our team members will treat you and your family with compassion and respect.
Accredited stroke care services
Stroke care at HCA Midwest Health covers stroke-like transient ischemic attacks (TIA) to complex stroke symptoms. Our comprehensive care coordinates specialists from emergency medicine, intensive care, hospitalization and rehabilitation. Coordinated care offers patients the chance for as full a recovery as possible.
The Joint Commission accredits five of our hospitals as stroke centers. Five of our hospitals also have Missouri's Time Critical Designation (TCD). Both designations mean our stroke teams provide immediate attention within a short window of time. Our specialists quickly diagnose and treat basic to complex symptoms.
The Joint Commission recognizes our stroke centers for handling basic to complex stroke symptoms with a comprehensive, multiple specialty approach.
Six of our Missouri hospitals meet the state's high standards for stroke care such as quick diagnosis and treatment and rapid response within 90 minutes.
Neurological conditions we treat
There are a wide variety of conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These conditions may be treated by our neuro specialists or may involve a multi-specialty approach, such as physical therapy. Together, our medical teams work to treat conditions such as:
- Brain or spine tumors
- Facial pain
- Memory loss or Alzheimer's Disease
- Parkinson's disease
- Traumatic brain or spinal cord injuries
Neurological services and treatments we offer
We offer many different neurological treatments for a variety of conditions. We use diagnosis and treatment options such as:
- The HCA Midwest Health Neuroscience Institute. Anchored at Research Medical Center, the Neuroscience Institute brings together a diverse array of specialists and programs from across our network to diagnose and treat conditions of the brain, spine and nerves.
- Aneurysm/CVA Program. Our neuro specialists at Research Medical Center offer highly specialized treatment for brain aneurysms and cerebrovascular accidents (CVA).
- Brain and spine tumor programs. We offer advanced medical and surgical treatments for benign and malignant tumors.
- Deep-brain magnetic stimulation (DMS). This procedure uses a device called a neurostimulator to treat Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders.
- Epilepsy Center at Menorah Medical Center. Our specialists can help you manage epilepsy and prevent recurrent seizures through nutrition and diet, medication and surgical procedures.
- Memory loss treatment and management. We offer treatment, management and resources for families and caretakers.
- Microvascular decompression. This complex surgical procedure helps to stop facial pain while preserving surrounding nerve tissue.
- Movement disorders/Parkinson’s disease programs. These programs offer advanced technology and treatment options for Parkinson's and other movement disorders.
- Neuroscience intensive care unit (neuro ICU). The neuro ICU at Research Medical Center team provides around-the-clock care for patients with immediately life-threatening neurological conditions.
- Radiosurgery. This treatment uses radiation therapy to target tumors, clots and other abnormalities without conventional surgery.
- Responsive neurostimulation. This procedure involves implanting a tiny device under your scalp to prevent epileptic seizures when they are about to happen.
- Spine care and spine surgery. HCA Midwest Health offers a comprehensive approach to spine care, including medication and surgical procedures.
- The Center for Facial Pain. We offer care for trigeminal neuralgia and other types of facial pain.
- The Center for Relief of Pain. This program at Research Medical Center treats and manages all kinds of chronic pain.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and concussion management. The neurological care program at Centerpoint Medical Center features experts that help manage severe symptoms and recovers as much of your capabilities as possible.
Finding the care you need
It may be challenging deciding on care for a brain condition. Talk to your doctor about it or call our Nurses On-Call service. Our empathetic nurses help you with health decisions and specialist referrals.
For information about Nurses On-Call or to speak with a nurse, call (800) 386-9355.