3 min Read Time
Advanced cancer care in Overland Park, KS
Overland Park Regional Medical Center is proud to be part of the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health cancer network, providing local access to innovative clinical research trials, tumor profiling and genetic counseling. You can trust our compassionate team to provide top cancer care in the comfort of your community hospital.
To learn more about our cancer services, please call Sarah Cannon at Overland Park Regional Medical Center at (913) 541-5550.
Overland Park Regional Medical Center is accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer quality program. This means our cancer center exceeds quality care standards set out by the CoC and consistently provides excellent comprehensive patient-centered care.
We are also a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence and recognized for our ultrasound imaging by the American College of Radiology and an Accredited Breast Center by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
Cancer services at our hospital
Patients and families who come to our hospital for cancer care have access to a wide range of diagnostic and treatment services. We diagnose and treat a wide range of cancers, including:
- Bladder cancer
- Blood cancer, including lymphoma, leukemia and multiple myeloma
- Brain cancer
- Breast cancer
- Colon cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Genitourinary cancer
- Gastrointestinal (GI) cancer
- Gynecologic cancer
- Head and neck cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Liver cancer
- Lung cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Skin cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Throat and tongue cancer
Breast cancer services
From advanced imaging to hidden scar surgery, we are here to provide leading breast cancer services. We offer comprehensive screening, including breast ultrasounds and breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). If any abnormalities are detected, we can perform a biopsy to detect cancerous tumors.
Our surgeons use advanced techniques to perform:
- Breast cancer surgery
- Hidden scar procedures
- Oncoplastic surgery (combines plastic surgery and breast cancer removal)
- Skin and nipple-sparing mastectomy
- Ultrasound-guided lumpectomy
Colorectal cancer services
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer in the U.S. for women and men. This type of cancer occurs in the large intestines (colon) or rectum. These types of tumors typically start as small polyps that develop into cancer. Because colon cancer doesn't usually have symptoms in its early stages, colonoscopies can be crucial in identifying any cancerous growths.
During a colonoscopy, your doctor can identify any polyps or suspicious tissue in your colon. If any abnormalities are found, your doctor will send samples to the laboratory to determine if it is benign (non-cancerous) or malignant (cancerous). Our gastroenterologists use the latest in technology to provide thorough colonoscopy services.
Additional colon cancer screening tests
In addition to colonoscopies, we also provide the following tests to help identify colorectal cancer:
- Biopsy–This is when a tissue sample is removed from your colon and sent for analysis.
- Digital rectal exam–This test can identify almost half of colon cancers and can usually be completed by a primary care doctor.
- Fecal occult blood test–This is a lab test used to look for blood in your stool.
- Stool DNA test–A lab test used to look for DNA changes in cells. It can also look for blood in your stool. This test can usually be ordered by your primary physician.
- Virtual colonoscopy–This is a computerized tomography (CT) scan used to check for colon polyps.
- X-ray of the large intestine or barium enema–This is a picture of your colon and can help identify polyps.
As part of our commitment to providing excellence in cancer care, we offer patient navigation services for individuals undergoing cancer treatment. Patient navigators are oncology-trained nurses who serve as your point of contact throughout your cancer journey. Patient navigators can help you with the following:
- Connect you with resource centers such as the American Cancer Society, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Susan G. Komen
- Help you understand your diagnosis and treatment options available
- Provide educational materials
- Provide information about national clinical trials
- Walk alongside you from cancer diagnosis to recovery
In addition to patient navigation, patients have access to some of the most advanced cancer therapies, genetic testing, cancer support and wellness and cancer rehabilitation.
Getting to our cancer center
Sarah Cannon at OPRMC is located across the street from the main hospital entrance. It is on the first floor of the Quivira Medical Plaza Building at the following address:
10600 Quivira Rd.
Overland Park, KS 66215
Phone number: (913) 541-5550
Fax number: (913) 541-5028
Our cancer center is open Mon - Fri: 8:00am - 4:30pm.
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
Overland Park Regional Medical Center is part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare. Our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7, and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (816) 448-7737.
Oncology at HCA Midwest Health
Oncology refers to the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Oncology treatments may include chemotherapy, radiation, medication or surgery. Oncologists can specialize in one of three fields of oncology: medical, radiation or surgery.Learn about Oncology
Retrieving location data...
Find care at these locations
- Belton Regional Medical Center
- Centerpoint Medical Center
- Lafayette Regional Health Center
- Lee's Summit Medical Center
- Menorah Medical Center
- Overland Park Regional Medical Center
- Research Medical Center