Kansas City's first choice for heart and vascular care
Whether you need emergency care for chest pain or long-term heart disease management, the cardiologists at the HCA Midwest Heart & Vascular Institute offer comprehensive heart care. Our experienced heart doctors provide the latest lifesaving therapies and a smooth and seamless course of treatment.
If you're interested in seeing one of our heart specialists, schedule an appointment.
Benefits of the HCA Midwest Health Heart and Vascular Institute
At the Heart and Vascular Institute, there are many benefits to being in our care. Our qualifications include:
- Pioneers in cardiac care: Our cardiologists performed the first protected percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) procedure using advanced pumping technology and the first minimally invasive bypass surgery in the Kansas City region.
- Prominent leaders in cardiology research: Our cardiac specialists work to advance care by leading innovative clinical trials and research projects and authoring peer-review publications.
- A team approach to heart care: Our team consists of highly skilled surgeons, cardiologists, electrophysiologists, nurses and technicians who work together to develop the best treatment plan for each and every patient.
- Leading-edge procedures: We offer minimally invasive treatments that provide options to people who may have been previously told surgery was too risky.
- A care philosophy centered around you – We believe heart care should be empathetic, responsive and best in class.
- Empathetic – In order to create the optimal care plan, we strive to understand your lifestyle and how your symptoms affect you as a person.
- Responsive – We continually work towards making care more convenient whether it is through increased appointment availability or telecardiology.
- Best in class – For you to live longer and in better health, medical care has to be right, safe and effective.
- Convenience: We bring advanced cardiovascular care to your community hospital. We don’t want you to have to travel far for expert cardiology care.
See why more people in Kansas City choose us to care for their heart.
Chest Pain Centers
Five of our hospitals in Kansas City are accredited by the American College of Cardiology as Chest Pain Centers:
- Centerpoint Medical Center
- Lee’s Summit Medical Center
- Menorah Medical Center
- Overland Park Regional Medical Center
- Research Medical Center
This means that our hospitals use cutting-edge technology and a proven team-based approach to provide efficient, effective and coordinated care for the best possible outcomes.
At our chest pain centers, interventional cardiologists from the HCA Midwest Health Heart & Vascular Institute and cardiac catheterization lab work with emergency personnel to offer a customized level of care.
Comprehensive cardiology expertise
At HCA Midwest Health, we're committed to providing comprehensive care for all stages and types of cardiac disease, such as:
We use a team approach to coronary heart disease treatment, consisting of highly skilled surgeons, cardiologists, nurses and technicians who work together to develop the best treatment plan for every patient.
Heart failure is a serious condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood throughout the body. It can't be cured, but it can be managed. Our cardiology staff is highly trained in treating heart failure and can help patients live an everyday life through various treatments and medications.
Our chest pain centers offer emergency heart care 24/7. They routinely exceed the national quality goal of a door-to-angioplasty time in under 90 minutes, which is the time considered ideal for clearing a blockage and having a patient survive a heart attack. We use a team-based approach with cardiologists, surgeons, nurses and rehabilitation therapists to ensure patients get quality care both during and after treatment.
The electrophysiologists at the Kansas City Heart Rhythm Institute are world-renowned educators, researchers and clinicians who treat all types of heart arrhythmias.
Our interventional cardiologists have deep expertise and experience with leading-edge, minimally invasive procedures for cardiac emergencies and the treatment of heart conditions. Some of the types of heart surgery we conduct include:
- Aortic stent grafting
- Cardiac stent
- Chronic total occlusion percutaneous coronary intervention
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- Coronary artery bypass
- Minimally invasive interventional radiology procedures
- Mitral valve regurgitation
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass (CAB)
- Surgical left ventricular assist device (LVAD)
Structural heart surgery
Cardiologists with HCA Midwest Health are specialists experienced in structural heart surgery. They use the latest techniques to repair heart abnormalities and diseased valves to improve your quality of life. Procedures include:
- Aortic valve replacement
- Left atrial appendage closure (LAA)
- Mitral valve surgery
- Transcatheter mitral valve repair
- Transcatheter mitral valve replacement
- Patent foramen ovale occlusion (PFO)
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
Our vascular surgeons are skilled in the latest surgical methods to treat serious vascular conditions and were the first in the Kansas City area to perform minimally invasive bypass surgery. The vein clinics at HCA Midwest Health offer state-of-the-art treatments for chronic venous insufficiency (the vein valve system is not functioning properly) and varicose veins.
Conditions we treat include:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Aortic dissection
- Carotid artery disease
- Critical limb ischemia
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Fibromuscular dysplasia
- May-Thurner syndrome
- Nutcracker syndrome
- Peripheral artery disease
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Renal artery disease
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Varicose veins
- Vertebral artery disease
- Visceral artery disease
If you're recovering from a heart attack or have a heart condition such as congestive heart failure, your cardiologist may suggest cardiac rehabilitation. Our therapists and rehab specialists have experience in working with a variety of cardiac conditions, and we'll work with you to design a rehab program to meet your needs.
Our pediatric cardiology department has surgeons that are board-certified in pediatric care and fellowship-trained in pediatric cardiology. They are trained to treat infants and children who have congenital (present at birth) heart abnormalities.
The HCA Midwest Health clinical research program offers another therapeutic option for patients through clinical trials.
Care that helps prevent future cardiac emergencies
HCA Midwest Health offers the area's only patented information technology system that automatically scans diagnostic tests performed during an inpatient, outpatient or emergency room visit for additional signs that you may be at risk for a future cardiac emergency. If you are determined to be at risk, a nurse navigator will contact you to explain the findings and connect you with the appropriate follow up care.