Pediatric specialists in Kansas City
Whether it’s a one-time injury or a chronic illness, your child deserves high-quality care delivered in a convenient, kid-friendly environment. At HCA Midwest Health, our skilled pediatricians and children's specialists are dedicated to providing our Kansas City community with the best medical care possible, including pediatric specialized care and surgeries.
For more information about our pediatric services, call (913) 541-5437 (KIDS).
Why families choose us for pediatric care
At HCA Midwest Health, we recognize that every child is unique. We also know no one knows a child better than their parents. That's why we partner with parents to help make the best decisions for our young patients.
Families trust HCA Midwest Health for their children's healthcare because we offer a wide range of high-quality pediatric services to our Kansas City community, including:
- 10 kid-friendly emergency rooms (ERs) conveniently located throughout the Kansas City area
- A dedicated pediatric ER at Overland Park Regional Medical Center
- A dedicated pediatric inpatient unit at Overland Park Regional Medical Center
- Eight CareNow® urgent care centers that are prepared to treat children six months and older
- High-risk pregnancy care offered at several of our hospitals
- Johnson County’s only Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) at Overland Park Regional Medical Center
- Maternal-fetal care through Overland Park Regional Medical Center
- Neonatal intensive care provided at four Levels II and III neonatal intensive care units (NICUs)
- Over 135 general pediatricians and family practice doctors
- Pediatric outpatient specialty services and surgeries at Overland Park Regional Medical Center and Lee's Summit Medical Center
- Sports medicine programs offered at each of our hospitals to aid in the prevention, detection and treatment of sports-related injuries
Pediatric emergency care
No parent or caregiver wants to think about taking their child to the ER. However, it's important to be prepared in case an emergency occurs. In addition to our dedicated pediatric ER at Overland Park Regional Medical Center, all of our emergency rooms are kid-friendly, offer short wait times and are prepared to treat children quickly and effectively.
The dedicated pediatric ER at Overland Park Regional Medical Center is just for kids and offers children and their families a variety of benefits and services, including:
- Direct access to a pediatric inpatient unit and critical care in our PICU, if advanced care is needed
- Emergency services provided by board-certified, emergency-trained pediatric specialists, skilled nurses and pediatric support team
- Laboratory testing and radiology (imaging) exams dedicated to pediatric patients
- Play therapy and unique amenities to make children feel comfortable
- State-of-the-art equipment and technology that is uniquely customized for children
For more information about our pediatric ER, call (913) 541-5000.
At Overland Park Regional Medical Center, our pediatric patients benefit from specialized imaging technologies designed just for kids. We know children can be nervous when coming to the hospital for an imaging procedure, so we do everything in our power to keep them comfortable. This includes allowing parents into exam rooms with their children and child life services that are designed to help keep kids at ease while in the hospital.
Specialty imaging services include computed tomography (CT) scans, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), fluoroscopy and X-rays. All of the technologies we use to perform these exams are designed to minimize radiation exposure. If you need to schedule an imaging procedure for your child, you can schedule an appointment at the pediatric diagnostic imaging center by calling (913) 541-5062.
Pediatric specialty care
When children need specialized care, their families can trust the pediatric specialists at HCA Midwest Health's Overland Park Regional Medical Center. Our pediatric team is committed to providing high-quality care to children, from the fetal stage through their teen years.
Our doctors, nurses, surgeons, clinicians and staff are all specifically trained in pediatrics and understand each child’s unique physical, emotional and social needs. We combine leading-edge technology and equipment with specialized treatments and procedures for the best possible outcomes.
Pediatric specialties we provide
HCA Midwest Health offers a range of care and treatment options for children of all ages. Most of our pediatric specialty services are provided at Overland Park Regional Medical Center. Some of those services, such as pediatric gastroenterology and neurology, are also offered through the pediatric program at Lee's Summit Medical Center.
Additionally, Centerpoint Medical Center now provides pulmonary care to patients five years and older. We also provide adolescents with behavioral health services at Research Psychiatric Center.
Together, HCA Midwest Health hospitals offer a wide range of pediatric specialty services, such as:
- Adolescent developmental and behavioral outpatient care
- Adolescent inpatient psychiatry
- Allergy and asthma care
- Concussion management
- Ear, nose and throat (ENT) care
- Laboratory and pathology services
- Pediatric cardiology
- Pediatric endocrinology
- Pediatric gastroenterology
- Pediatric neurology
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation, including:
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Prenatal and infant care
- Pulmonary care
- Radiology and medical imaging
- Sports medicine
Pediatric surgeries we offer
We always recommend the least invasive method to treat children's health conditions. However, sometimes surgery is the most effective option. When pediatric surgery is needed, we involve and educate families about the treatment process.
Our expert pediatric surgeons are specially trained to meet the unique needs of children and provide a broad range of inpatient and outpatient procedures, including:
- Abdominal surgery, including appendectomies
- Chest wall deformity surgery, including procedures to correct pectus carinatum and pectus excavatum
- Colorectal surgery
- Ear, nose and throat surgery
- Esophageal surgery
- Gallbladder surgery
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Hand surgery, including the surgical treatment of:
- Ganglion cysts
- Trigger finger
- Hernia, including procedures to treat congenital diaphragmatic hernia
- Liver surgery
- Maternal-fetal surgery, including fetoscopic laser ablations for the treatment of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS)
- Neonatal surgery
- Non-cardiac thoracic surgery
- Orthopedic surgery, including procedures to treat:
- Hip dysplasia
- Musculoskeletal and limb deformities, such as leg length discrepancies and angular deformities
- Pancreatic surgery
- Pulmonary surgery, including procedures to treat congenital pulmonary airway malformation
- Spine surgery, including spinal fusion
- Thyroid surgery
- Tumor removal
- Urological surgery
- Vascular surgery, including procedures to treat vascular lesions
Skilled, compassionate pediatric intensive care services
Meeting each child's emergency needs is important to us. If hospitalization is necessary, we admit children to our pediatric care unit, located at Overland Park Regional Medical Center. At our pediatric care unit, children receive around-the-clock care from our child-focused critical care specialists and support staff.
Every room in our inpatient unit is private, equipped with a bathroom and large enough for parents to stay with their child comfortably.
Our child life specialists are available to help children relax and occupy their time to keep them from worrying. They also offer children coping skills before, during and after procedures and surgeries.
Fast, effective pediatric outpatient care
We believe that children should have access to the care they need when they need it–not months later. Whether a child is referred to us by an ER or their general pediatrician, a pediatric sub-specialist can usually see them within two days.