Pediatric surgeons in Kansas City
At HCA Midwest Health, our specialists provide experienced, expert pediatric surgical care in an easily accessible and supportive environment—right here in your community. When your child or teen needs surgery, you want them to receive advanced care from surgeons who are not only experts in their field but compassionate caregivers. That’s what we deliver when you choose Overland Park Regional Medical Center or another HCA Midwest hospital for your child's care.
We offer an unmatched, all-encompassing approach to your child’s surgical experience, with a team that instills your confidence and comfort in us as we care for your child. Our providers treat your child like they would their own, aiming for the best possible surgical care and experience.
For admissions, transfers and consultations with our pediatric surgeons, call our pediatrics physician's referral team at (844) 599-5437 (KIDS).
Pediatric surgical care that’s easy to access and navigate
The stress of your child being in a medical emergency or needing surgery can be increased when you have to work hard to find the right providers who will keep you informed throughout treatment. We know that hospital experiences can be overwhelming, particularly when it involves your child’s health and well-being, which is why each member of our team is committed to making your child’s time with us as smooth as possible for him or her–and for you.
As a parent, you can rest easy when your child is in our care, knowing that:
- Because all of our children’s specialists are in the same location, it allows them to collaborate quickly and easily on individual cases. Communication between our providers becomes simple and streamlined—an advantage for anxious parents.
- Our pediatric surgeons work closely with their colleagues specializing in other areas of pediatric care at Overland Park Regional Medical Center (OPRMC). This makes it especially easy for you to navigate your child’s care with convenient access to the diagnostic and treatment resources you need to advocate for your child.
- Pediatric emergency care is available at all HCA Midwest emergency room (ER) locations, and OPRMC has a dedicated pediatric ER with on-site pediatric surgeons and specialists and child-sized medical equipment.
- We have one of the few pediatric intensive care units (PICUs) in Johnson County, if your child requires fast access to a higher level of care.
- We pride ourselves on the length of our consultations between physicians, patients and their parents. We want you to have the opportunity to spend time with your child's surgeon, get to know him or her and have plenty of time to get all the answers you need to feel comfortable with your child’s treatment.
- Our office staff can help you understand your insurance coverage and is always happy to assist you.
Common conditions treated
Surgery may be needed to treat a wide variety of pediatric conditions. Some of the more common conditions we perform surgical treatment for include:
- Abdominal wall abnormalities (gastroschisis and omphalocele)
- Chest wall abnormalities (pectus excavatus and pectum carinatum)
- Gallbladder problems
- Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD)
- Gastrointestinal disorders affecting the esophagus, stomach, small bowel and colon
Common procedures performed
Our pediatric surgeons are specialty trained in a range of medical disciplines and perform procedures such as:
- Cancer-related surgeries
- Cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia
- Colon and rectal surgery
- Esophageal atresia surgery and other esophageal procedures
- Gastrointestinal surgery, including gastroesophageal reflux surgery
- Reconstruction of chest wall abnormalities
- Head and neck surgery
- Inguinal hernia surgery
- In-utero treatment of fetal conditions, including fetoscopic laser ablation for twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS)
- Neonatal surgery
- Non-cardiac thoracic surgery, including ligation of patent ductus arteriosus
- Pancreatic surgery
- Resection of congenital pulmonary airway abnormalities
- Thyroid and parathyroid surgery
- Umbilical hernia and other abdominal wall hernias
- Vascular lesions
A multispecialty approach to care
As part of our approach to pediatric care, we evaluate every child's overall health and develop a care plan that takes their individualized needs into consideration. This leads to frequent collaborations across our pediatric medical specialties.
If a child requires additional attention following their birth, the doctors in our neonatal intensive care units (NICUs) provide expert care for a wide range of post-birth conditions, including treatment for problems that are diagnosed prior to birth. Our surgical team consults with parents when maternal-fetal specialty care is needed. They meet with parents before their child is born and work closely with our neonatologists to provide the safest labor and delivery experience possible for these little ones.
Specialized surgical care for kids
OPRMC offers a full range of pediatric surgical services, from routine to highly complex procedures. Our pediatric surgery program is built around the unique needs of children, providing a cheerful, kid-friendly environment that makes even the tiniest patient—and their parents—feel relaxed. In 2016, OPRMC performed the first pediatric robotic surgery in the region, proving our dedication to the advancement of minimally invasive technology for pediatric surgery and resulting in less pain, a shorter hospital stay and a quicker recovery time for our young patients.
Our team works exclusively with infants, children and adolescents. In addition to top-quality surgeons, our pediatric surgery team includes:
- Certified medical assistants
- Nurse practitioners
- Pediatric anesthesiologists
- Pediatric nurses
Many other healthcare professionals, including dietitians, child life specialists and occupational and physical therapists, are also part of the team, offering support to your child during their hospital stay and recovery.
Dedicated pediatric anesthesiology services
When your child is scheduled for surgery, we believe it’s important that you feel comfortable with and confident in the anesthesiology team caring for your child during surgery. Our pediatric anesthesiology team understands the special requirements of newborns, infants, children and teens when it comes to sedation services. This pediatric expertise is especially important in both sedation for a procedure and pain management during recovery.
Our anesthesiologists develop a personalized approach based on your child's needs. Our team members have extensive training in:
- General anesthesiology
- Pediatric advanced life support
- Pediatric anesthesiology
- Pediatric critical care
Pediatric surgeons in Lee's Summit
In addition to our care at Overland Park Regional Medical Center, we offer pediatric surgical services at Lee's Summit Medical Center. Some of the surgeries offered to children at this facility include:
- Gastrointestinal and colorectal surgeries
- Hernia repair
- Tumor and soft tissue lump removal