Pediatric neurologists in Kansas City
The health needs of children are unique and ever-changing. This is especially true when it comes to their neurological development. At HCA Midwest Health, we offer high-quality pediatric neurological care from a skilled, compassionate team. One of our providers is the only specialist in the Kansas City region who is fellowship-trained in pediatric movement disorders.
For more information about our pediatric neurology services, call our pediatrics department at (913) 541-5437 (KIDS).
Our pediatric neurology team is committed to ensuring young patients and their families have a sense of confidence and comfort in our pediatric services. With every visit, families can feel assured that we are advocating for their children and providing them with the best neurological care possible.
A multidisciplinary team approach to pediatric neurological care
We strive to make pediatric care as smooth as possible for our patients and their families. All of our pediatric specialties are provided on the campus of Overland Park Regional Medical Center. We also offer pediatric neurological care at Menorah Medical Center and Lee's Summit Medical Center.
We make it easy for parents to navigate their child’s healthcare with convenient access to all the diagnostic and treatment resources needed. This allows our specialists to collaborate quickly and easily on individual cases.
For example, children born prematurely or with urgent health conditions are treated at Overland Park Regional Medical Center’s Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Some health conditions can be diagnosed by our maternal-fetal specialists before birth, and our neurology team can provide maternal-fetal consultations for women with high-risk pregnancies. Then, if intensive care is needed, we work closely with NICU specialists to ensure the best arrival and care possible.
Pediatric neurological conditions we treat
Our pediatric neurologists offer expertise for a wide range of conditions. With experience treating patients of all ages, our pediatric neurologists ensure a strong continuum of care for children as they grow and move from pediatric to adult neurological care.
Some of the conditions we diagnose and treat in children include:
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Asperger’s syndrome
- Chronic tics
- Concussion or traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Developmental delays
- Epilepsy and seizures
- Genetic and metabolic conditions
- Headaches and migraines
- Movement disorders, such as cerebral palsy and multiple sclerosis
- Sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea
- Spina bifida
- Tourette’s syndrome
Diagnosing neurological conditions in children
Our skilled pediatric neurologists offer a range of advanced diagnostic tests and imaging services to accurately diagnose neurological disorders. In addition to our in utero maternal fetal consultations, our diagnostic exams include:
- Computed axial tomography (CAT) scans (imaging exams that use X-ray technology to produce multiple images at different angles)
- Electroencephalography, or EEG (exams that involve attaching electrodes to the scalp to detect electrical activity in the brain)
- Electromyography, or EMG (diagnostic exams that assess the electrical activity and health of muscles and the nerve cells that control them)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans (diagnostic exams that use a magnetic field and radio waves to produce images)
- Sleep studies (evaluations that measure brain activity, breathing patterns and movement during sleep)
Pediatric neurological disorder treatments
Our pediatric neurology team is skilled at using advanced care for a wide range of neurological conditions. Some of the treatments we provide include:
- Botulinum toxin therapy (injecting a neurotoxin protein to block the nerve signals that cause muscle spasms)
- Deep brain stimulation, or DBS (surgery that involves implanting a small device that sends electrical pulses to areas of the brain that control movement)
- Electrical stimulation, or ES (nerve stimulation using electrical impulses)
- Intrathecal baclofen therapy, or ITB (delivering a liquid medicine into the spinal fluid to treat spasticity)
Pediatric neurology specialists in Lee's Summit
We offer the Lee's Summit community convenient pediatric neurological services at Lee's Summit Medical Center. Some of the treatments offered at this facility include:
- Botulinum toxin therapies
- Chronic tic management
- Deep brain stimulation
- Intrathecal baclofen therapy
Pediatric neurology specialists in Overland Park
At Overland Park Regional Medical Center, we offer some of the most advanced neurological diagnostic tools and treatments in the Kansas City region. The neurologists and neurosurgeons at this facility offer a range of treatments, including minimally invasive neurosurgeries, to patients of all ages.
Pediatric neurological care locations
Retrieving location data...