COVID-19 and pregnancy — an update for our patients
We would like to take this opportunity to update you about your maternity care during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and assure you that our dedicated team of expert nurses, physicians and midwives are committed to providing safe and effective care to every patient who walks through our doors.
Due to COVID-19, all appointments with a Maternity Navigator will take place by phone.
Labor and delivery in Kansas City
More moms choose us for the happiest, healthiest starts possible.
HCA Midwest Health delivers over 6,000 babies each year—more than any other hospital system in the Kansas City region. Each and every birth is supported by our unmatched expertise and clinical resources. Our labor and delivery hospitals offer complete childbirth care and support with comprehensive amenities, such as spacious maternity suites.
To learn more about our labor and delivery services, call us at (913) 541-8330.
A safe place for all birthing experiences
Our hospital network ensures every woman has access to top-quality maternity care, including highly specialized services for women with high-risk pregnancies. Our comprehensive care includes:
- Dedicated neonatal and maternal transport teams to ensure every newborn and mother has access to the level of care they need
- Dedicated surgical suites for women's services available for scheduled and emergency cesarean sections
- Four neonatal intensive care units (NICUs) with specialists providing around-the-clock care for newborns
- Maternal fetal medicine network, featuring:
- Antepartum care for moms needing extra attention prior to birth
- Level II and Level III NICUs
- Physicians with expertise in multiple births (twins, triplets, etc.)
- OB hospitalists—board-certified OB/GYNs—in-house 24/7 at Research Medical Center
- Region's most experienced labor and delivery teams—delivering more babies than any other hospital system in the Kansas City area
- The largest antepartum unit in the region at Overland Park Regional Medical Center (OPRMC) for pregnant women who require 24/7 care
- OB trauma service at OPRMC—the sole provider in our region—for soon-to-be moms in unexpected situations, with board-certified OB/GYNs in-house 24/7
- Two obstetrics (OB) emergency rooms offering 24/7 access to board-certified OB/GYNs located at Overland Park Regional Medical Center and Research Medical Center
- A Small Baby Unit for babies born under 29 weeks. Located at Overland Park Regional Medical Center, the unit has low lighting and noise levels that create an environment similar to that of a mother's womb.
Comfortable and customizable amenities at our birthing centers
Together, the labor and delivery hospitals of HCA Midwest Health offer superior childbirth care and support that makes more moms choose us for their babies' first days. Our modern birthing centers and suites are equipped with an array of amenities designed to keep new and expecting moms and their family members as comfortable as possible. Our patients may benefit from:
- A large network of certified nurse-midwives for mothers wanting a low intervention birth experience with the added safety measures of a full hospital staff
- Alternative methods for pain relief during labor, including nitrous oxide
- Childbirth classes offered at multiple HCA Midwest Health hospitals and online
- Comfortable, spacious maternity and birthing suites
- Customizable amenities for your labor and delivery, so you can design a birth plan that caters directly to your needs
- Early bonding with your baby, including support for skin-to-skin contact
- Enhanced newborn security measures
- Fertility services to help you start your family
- Flexible visiting hours
- Lactation consultants to guide the breastfeeding experience
- More than 110 childbirth experts to choose from, including obstetricians, certified nurse midwives and family care physicians
- Obstetrics care available at four of our Kansas City hospitals
- Photography services, including web nurseries at several hospitals
- Prenatal screenings, including ultrasound imaging
- Spa tubs for labor
- Specialized care for mothers and babies going through a high-risk pregnancy in our antepartum unit and neonatal intensive care units
- Support from one of our maternity navigators
- Tours of our birthing centers prior to labor and delivery
Download our free pregnancy app for important information and fun extras for every stage of pregnancy, birth and beyond. It features an appointment tracker, a kick counter, a feeding log and more.
Emergency maternity care
At HCA Midwest Health, we are committed to the safety of the moms and babies in our communities. We offer OB emergency rooms at two hospital locations in the Kansas City area: Overland Park Regional Medical Center and Research Medical Center. These hospital ERs are staffed with experienced, board-certified obstetricians and are prepared to care for OB emergencies 24/7.
Our emergency OB/GYNs provide a wide range of services, including::
- 24/7 support for vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC)
- Collaboration with patient’s OB/GYNs or midwives
- Review of test results and fetal heart rate tracings
Prenatal screenings for mother and baby
We offer specialized diagnostic services for mother and baby to identify any issues or problems and track your baby's growth. Our prenatal screenings for moms include:
- Behavioral health assessments
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Blood tests
- Microbiological examinations for infections
- Urine tests
Prenatal screenings are also used to assess your baby's health and may include:
- Chorionic villus screening (CVS)
- Maternal serum alpha-fetoprotein (MSAFP)
- Non-stress test (NST)/biophysical profile (BPP)
- Nucha translucency (NT)
- Percutaneous umbilical blood sampling
Importance of ultrasound screenings
Ultrasound imaging is used during prenatal screenings to help expectant parents learn more about their baby as they develop. Ultrasounds help our doctors determine:
- Age (weeks of gestation)
- Amount of amniotic fluid
- Blood flow efficiency
- Causes of bleeding or pain
- Certain congenital abnormalities
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Heart rate, breathing, position and movement
- Location of placenta
- Number of babies (twins, triplets, etc.)
- Size and rate of growth
Your labor and delivery team
A wide variety of specialists make up the labor and delivery teams across HCA Midwest Health, including:
- Board-certified OB/GYNs available 24/7 for women during any stage of pregnancy and childbirth
- Certified nurse midwives
- Maternity nurse navigators
- Maternal transport teams for women experiencing complications during pregnancy or immediately after giving birth
- Maternal-fetal medicine specialists
- OB hospitalists
- The region's only OB trauma team
Midwifery services are provided by certified nurse-midwives who specialize in low-intervention births for mothers with low-risk pregnancies. Our health system offers a large network of certified nurse-midwives, which helps us provide our patients access to the birthing experience they desire with the added safety of a full hospital staff.
Our midwives help customize birth plans, facilitate father-assisted births and guide breastfeeding during the early postpartum period.
Advanced care for high-risk pregnancies
While most women experience pregnancy without complications, some women may be at a high risk of complications due to a range of factors, such as age or a pre-existing health condition. Our hospital network specializes in providing advanced care for mothers and babies who require extra attention before and after birth.
In addition to our dedicated antepartum unit, which offers inpatient care for mothers before birth, patients also have access to high-level care at our Fetal Health Center. Our specialists provide a wide range of care, from close monitoring before delivery to fetal surgery.
We care for a variety of newborns in our NICUs, including preemies and other fragile newborns, such as those experiencing neonatal abstinence syndrome. We also offer a Small Baby Unit for babies born under 29 weeks. Located at Overland Park Regional Medical Center, the unit has low lighting and noise levels, creating an environment similar to that of a mother's womb.
Labor and delivery conditions we treat
We provide prompt, thorough treatment for high-risk pregnancies and conditions related to labor and delivery, such as:
- Ectopic/tubal pregnancy (pregnancy in which the fertilized egg implants outside the uterus)
- Gestational diabetes
- Inappropriate lactation
- Persistent vomiting
- Placenta previa (a condition where the placenta covers the opening in the mother's cervix)
- Placental abruption (a condition where the placenta detaches from the womb)
- Postpartum depression
- Postpartum hemorrhage
- Pre-eclampsia/toxemia (a pregnancy complication characterized by high blood pressure)
- Premature birth