Gynecologic oncology in Kansas City
The gynecologic oncologists at the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest are committed to helping patients diagnosed with cancer. Here, our team provides access to customized care plans, advanced treatment options and compassionate support for patients throughout their cancer journey.
Looking for a second opinion? We can help.
A second opinion can help you make an informed decision about your medical care. Getting a second opinion from an oncology expert at Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health is easy, convenient, secure and can all be done remotely.
Comprehensive gynecologic cancer care
The gynecologic cancer team at the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health focuses their energy on making your care and treatment as comfortable as possible. Within our gynecology program, our gynecologic oncologists:
- Oversee the care provided to patients with a gynecologic malignancy, offering cancer support, from diagnosis through survivorship
- Specialize in minimally invasive robotic surgery, offering precise control and access to hard-to-reach areas, allowing complex surgeries to be performed through a few small incisions
- Determine the most effective treatment as quickly as possible
- Refer appropriate patients for genetic risk assessment and counseling who have concerns about their personal and/or family history of cancer
- Offer access to national clinical research trials and cutting-edge therapies for patients in our local communities
Types of gynecologic cancers we treat
Gynecologic cancer begins in a woman's reproductive organs, including the pelvis, cervix, endometrium, fallopian tubes, ovaries, uterus and vagina.
As part of our comprehensive oncology services, HCA Midwest gynecology specialists design care plans and provide treatment for a variety of cancers, including:
- Cervical cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Vaginal cancer
- Vulvar cancer
- Uterine cancer
Gynecologic cancer risk factors
All women are at risk of developing gynecologic cancers, but there are certain conditions that may increase that risk. There are other conditions or reasons contributing to risk if you:
- Are at or beyond the age of menopause (50+)
- Are infected with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) or HPV (human papillomavirus)
- Are obese
- Don't have regular Pap screenings or have a history of abnormal pap smears
- First had intercourse before the age of sixteen
- Have a family history of ovarian cancer or cancers of the uterus, colon or breast
- Have had multiple sexual partners
- Have hypertension, diabetes, chronic vulvar irritation or late menopause
- Have never been pregnant or have had infertility problems
- Use the medication tamoxifen or use unopposed estrogen
Symptoms of gynecologic cancer
Knowing the symptoms of gynecologic cancer can help you be aware of early warning signs. Common gynecological cancer symptoms include:
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding or discharge
- Changes in bathroom habits (increased urination, constipation, or diarrhea)
- Changes in vulva color or skin (rash, sores, warts, or ulcers)
- Itching or burning of the vulva
- Pain in the back or stomach
- Pelvic pain or pressure
Gynecologic cancer treatment
Our experts can treat gynecologic cancers in various ways, including robotic surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy or a combination of your customized treatment plan. Our team of gynecologic oncologists, surgeons, medical oncologists and radiation oncologists collaborate to determine the best course of treatment for your condition. We also offer cancer rehabilitation to help manage the side effects that may develop after cancer treatment.
Gynecologic cancer prevention and early detection
There is no guaranteed way to prevent gynecologic cancer. However, you can reduce your risk factors by:
- Understanding your body
- Getting routine Pap tests
- Knowing your family history
- Protecting yourself from HPV
- Making healthy lifestyle choices
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
HCA Midwest Health is part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare. Our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7, and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (816) 448-7737 or visit askSARAHnow.