Personalized brain and spine tumor care
At HCA Midwest Health, we treat patients in the Greater Kansas City area with non-cancerous (benign) and cancerous (malignant) tumors of the brain and spine. If a tumor is found to be cancerous, our patients have access to comprehensive care through the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health. Our team, which includes neuro-oncologists, provides personalized cancer care with the help of genetic profiling and access to the latest clinical research trials.
To learn more about our treatment services for brain and spine tumors, call askSARAH at (816) 448-7737.
Multidisciplinary neurological services
If you are experiencing neurological symptoms, such as chronic headaches or changes in vision, you should visit with a neurological specialist. Our neurologists offer a full spectrum of services for treating conditions affecting the brain, spine and nerves. If a tumor is identified during evaluation, our multidisciplinary neurological team will provide comprehensive cancer care.
Common brain tumor symptoms
The symptoms of a brain tumor vary depending on the size and location of the tumor. While many of these symptoms can be caused by other health problems, the following signs are often associated with brain tumors:
- Confusion and disorientation
- Difficulty thinking, speaking or finding words
- Drowsiness or lethargy
- Loss of balance or difficulty walking
- Memory loss
- Personality or behavioral changes
- Seizures or convulsions
- Sensory , such as numbness or tingling
- Vision changes
- Vomiting or nausea
- Weakness or paralysis in a part or side of the body
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, talk with your doctor for an accurate diagnosis of your neurological condition. They may refer you to a brain cancer specialist.
Neuroimaging for tumor diagnosis
In addition to our imaging services, patients have access to neuroradiologists who perform imaging procedures using advanced techniques. Our neuroradiologists use imaging technology to acquire highly detailed images of the brain and spine that help us form a unique treatment plan for every tumor.
Types of tumors we treat
Our oncologists and neurological specialists work together to treat many types of brain and spine tumors, including:
- Anaplastic astrocytoma
- Benign brain and spine tumors
- Gliomas, including glioblastoma
- Malignant brain and spine tumors
- Metastatic brain tumors
- Primary central nervous system (CNS) lymphomas
Brain and spine tumor treatment
We are committed to providing coordinated care, which is why our specialists collaborate in a shared setting to facilitate treatment decisions. Following diagnosis of a cancerous brain or spine tumor, patients meet with our board-certified and fellowship trained doctors. Tumor treatment teams may include neuro-oncologists, neurosurgeons, radiation oncologists and medical oncologists.
We provide a range of advanced technologies and treatment options for brain and spine tumors, including:
- Access to clinical research trials
- Cancer rehabilitation services
- Chemotherapy infusion services
- Genetic profiling
- Intrathecal chemotherapy infusion
- Management of neurologic and systemic (whole body) symptoms
- Minimally invasive thermotherapy (destruction of cells through heat) using robot-assisted technology
- Skull base surgery
- Targeted radiation therapies using:
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity-modulated therapy (IMRT)
- Planar and cone-beam computerized tomography (CT) imaging
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT)
- Wearable medical device that produces an electrical field to disrupt cellular division
Brain and spine cancer support services
Sarah Cannon at HCA Midwest Health is committed to providing care throughout the entire cancer journey, from diagnosis through survivorship. We offer services for long-term cancer support, including:
- Behavioral health services
- Brain tumor support groups
- Nutritional services
- Palliative care consultations for pain management
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
HCA Midwest Health is part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare. Our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7, and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (816) 448-7737 or chat online at askSARAHnow.