Sports medicine physicians in Kansas City
If a sports or exercise-related injury has you sidelined, our orthopedic sports medicine doctors can help you get back in the game. HCA Midwest Health's sports medicine specialists offer injury prevention, assessment, treatment and rehabilitation as well as athletic training and sports physicals to keep our Kansas City community active and healthy.
For more information about our sports medicine programs, call (816) 823-0647.
Why patients choose us for orthopedic sports medicine
At HCA Midwest Health, we have access to a wide range of expert specialists, advanced technology and the latest research. This allows us to provide an excellent sports medicine program. Patients who choose our sports medicine services have access to:
- 11 Kansas City emergency rooms to treat severe sports or fitness-related injuries
- Dynamic, sport-specific, one-on-one evaluations, training and performance-enhancement programs
- Our long-time partnerships with schools, leagues, colleges and professional sports teams
- Post-rehabilitation and athletic development programs to help patients transition back to their favorite activities
- State-of-the-art facilities with advanced technology, including video analysis, hydrotherapy pools and an outdoor assessment field to simulate game conditions
- The combined clinical expertise of orthopedic surgeons, sports medicine specialists, nurses, physical therapists and athletic trainers
Conditions we treat
When injuries occur and conditions develop, our sports medicine doctors are ready to provide surgical and non-surgical care. Our goal is to get patients back to their activities quickly, safely and fully recovered. Some of the most common sports- and exercise-related conditions we treat include:
- Concussions (traumatic impact to the head)
- Dislocations (joint injuries that force bones from their normal positions)
- Fractures (broken bones)
- Ligament injuries, such as anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears
- Repetitive motion injuries, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, runner’s knee and tennis elbow
- Sprains (wrenching or twisting of ligaments)
- Tendinitis, such as golfer's elbow (inflammation of the cord attaching muscle to a bone)
- Tendon injuries, such as jumper's knee and rotator cuff injuries (injury of the cord connecting muscle to bone)
- Other sports-related injuries, such as pulled muscles
Comprehensive concussion care
A concussion is a traumatic injury that occurs when the brain moves violently within the skull. The brain needs time to heal after a concussion. Returning to the field before complete recovery can put athletes at risk of permanent brain injury.
HCA Midwest Health offers a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary program to aid concussion prevention, recovery and a safe return to play. We also provide concussion baseline testing using the same tests professional athletes use. A concussion baseline test is performed before an injury, so information is available for comparison if trauma does occur.
Signs of concussion
The brain does not function correctly after a concussion. Concussions can cause issues with:
Sports injury prevention and education
The best offense is a good defense. That’s why we are actively involved in educating athletes, family members, coaches and caregivers about injury prevention and recognition. To help minimize the risk of injury, our sports medicine specialists teach:
- Conditioning and endurance training techniques
- Flexibility through stretching exercises
- Proper strength building
Sports can be fun and have many social, emotional and physical health benefits. However, sports can also be dangerous. To keep our community’s athletes safe and healthy, we offer pre-participation physicals. Our sports physicals include a physical exam and review of an athlete’s medical history to determine if it is safe for them to partake in the activity of their choice.
Athletic training and therapy
Our sports medicine and wellness team has helped thousands of individuals better understand how to care for their bodies before, during and after participating in athletics. Our athletic trainers partner with local schools, leagues and professional teams to provide services to athletes of all ages.
Our trainers are certified to assess and triage minor sports injuries that occur during play. They also work with our sports medicine physicians, orthopedic specialists and coaches to develop safe return-to-play plans after injuries occur.
Sports injury treatment and rehabilitation
Even with the best prevention and care, sports injuries can happen. When they do, we offer the latest treatment options, including innovative orthopedic care, pediatric orthopedics and specialized physical therapy and rehabilitation programs, to help patients regain and maintain function.
We create individualized treatments and recovery plans to get athletes back in the game and help them learn how to prevent re-injury and future problems.
When it comes to treating sports-related injuries and conditions, we always choose the least invasive option possible. However, when other treatments fail to provide relief, orthopedic surgery can be the best choice. Our expert orthopedic surgeons are experienced in performing a range of orthopedic procedures, including:
- Foot and ankle surgery
- Hand and upper extremity surgery
- Hip replacement surgery
- Knee replacement surgery
- Spine surgery
Sports medicine for women
Our sports medicine doctors know that women who participate in athletics experience unique rewards and challenges. In addition to sprains, strains and other athletic injuries, women face gender-related conditions and concerns that may increase their likelihood of injury and require specialized diagnosis and treatment. That's why our sports medicine specialists offer their depth of experience and specialized programs to help women and girls meet their performance goals, whatever their sport, age or skill level.
Sports medicine for older adults
We encourage adults 50 years old and older to stay fit and active. Our sports medicine physicians can help patients in this age range manage athletic injuries and prevent further issues. We can also create customized plans to help them achieve their wellness goals and exercise safely.
Sports medicine locations
Retrieving location data...