Orthopedic hand, wrist, arm, elbow and shoulder specialists in Kansas City
At HCA Midwest Health, our orthopedists diagnose and treat a wide range of hand and upper extremity injuries and conditions. Our leading diagnostic and testing capabilities, paired with our expert providers, enables us to relieve pain and increase mobility in the hands, arms, shoulders and wrists.
For more information about our hand and upper extremity services, call (816) 823-0647.
Hand and upper extremity conditions we treat
Our specialists are highly trained and experienced in surgical and nonsurgical orthopedic care and pediatric orthopedics for injuries and conditions affecting the hands and upper extremities, including:
- Adhesive capsulitis, also called frozen shoulder (stiffness and pain in the shoulder)
- Calcific tendonitis of the shoulder (inflammation in the shoulder caused by calcium deposits)
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (numbness, tingling or weakness in the hand)
- Floating shoulder (the shoulder is pulled out of place due to a fracture of the collarbone and shoulder blade)
- Fractures, dislocations, sprains and strains
- Ganglion cyst (a noncancerous fluid sac often found on the wrist)
- Golfer’s elbow (pain where the forearm tendons attach to the bony bump on the inside of the elbow)
- Jersey finger (a tear in a flexor tendon near the end of a finger that prevents bending of the joint)
- Labral tear in the shoulder (a tear in the rubbery tissue that helps keep the ball of the shoulder in place)
- Little League elbow (inflammation of the growth plate inside the elbow)
- Mallet finger or baseball finger (an injury to the finger extensor tendon that prevents straightening of the joint)
- Osteoarthritis (pain and swelling in the joints of the elbow due to wear and tear)
- Pitcher’s shoulder (a rotator cuff injury that affects the shoulder)
- Polydactyly (a congenital condition in which someone is born with extra fingers)
- Rotator cuff injury (an injury or inflammation of the rotator cuff tendons in the shoulder)
- Syndactyly (a congenital condition in which fingers are fused together)
- Tennis elbow (pain where the forearm tendons attach to the outside of the elbow)
- Trigger finger (a finger snaps or locks when straightening or bending)
- Ulnar nerve entrapment at elbow, also called cubital tunnel syndrome (a constricted arm nerve)
Orthopedic hand, wrist, arm and shoulder treatments we offer
Our orthopedic specialists are skilled in hand and upper extremity diagnostics and treatments. We offer nonsurgical and surgical treatments for even the most complex conditions involving the muscles, tendons and bones or joints of the hands and upper extremities.
Our team always chooses the least invasive method to treat injuries and conditions. However, sometimes surgery is the best option. We offer a wide range of orthopedic surgeries, including the following treatments and procedures.
Arthroscopy involves the insertion of a tiny camera and light in a narrow tube into a small incision. This minimally invasive procedure allows the surgeon to view inside the joint and diagnose or treat orthopedic conditions of the hand and upper extremities.
We offer several surgical treatments to repair damaged and diseased shoulder joints, including:
- Repair of fracture of the shoulder bones, humerus or clavicle
- Rotator cuff repair
- Shoulder dislocation procedures
- Shoulder manipulation (also called frozen shoulder surgery)
- Shoulder replacement surgery
- Shoulder separation surgery
- Surgery for tendonitis, arthritis, bursitis or loose or torn cartilage
We offer a wide range of pain management services, including oral medication prescriptions and medication injections. We often combine treatments, such as pain management and physical therapy, to relieve hand and upper extremity pain while building strength and mobility.
Physical therapy and rehabilitation
Our hospitals offer inpatient and outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation services from licensed orthopedists, rehabilitation specialists and physical therapists. In addition to physical therapy, patients with hand and upper extremity conditions can benefit from our occupational and aquatic therapies.
Through our sports medicine programs, we offer injury prevention, assessments, treatments, and rehabilitation for sports- and exercise-related conditions. We also provide individualized fitness programs and athletic training so patients can stay active and healthy at any age.
Hand and upper extremity care locations
Retrieving location data...