December 14, 2020
OVERLAND PARK, KAN. — Overland Park Regional Medical Center – part of HCA Midwest Health, Kansas City's leading and most comprehensive healthcare provider – was again awarded an 'A' in the fall 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade. The national distinction recognizes Overland Park Regional Medical Center’s achievements protecting patients from harm and providing safer health care and is awarded by The Leapfrog Group, an independent national watchdog organization committed to health care quality and safety. The Safety Grade is a letter grade assigned to all general hospitals across the country and is updated every six months based on a hospital's performance in preventing medical errors, and other harms to patients in their care. The hospital was previously awarded an 'A' in the spring 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Guide.
"An 'A' grade from The Leapfrog Group is the gold standard for patient safety," says Overland Park Regional Medical Center Chief Executive Officer Matt Sogard, FACHE. "Especially now, during the pandemic, patients and their families rely on us for high-quality and safe hospital care. This rating reflects Overland Park Regional Medical Center's doctors, nurses and countless other staff members' dedication and commitment to ensuring patient safety."
Overland Park Regional Medical Center has implemented important protocols and guidelines to ensure the safety of its patients and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic, including:
- Screening processes in place for all patients, visitors and clinicians before entering the hospital.
- Separate care locations for COVID-19 positive patients and those under investigation, who are masked and escorted to designated locations.
- Universal masking required throughout the hospital.
- COVID-19 testing required before all surgeries and other procedures and all admissions to the hospital.
- Heightened infection prevention policies, including the removal of high-touch items such as magazines, toys and vending machines from the hospital and clinical units.
- Updated visitor policies, including limitations, which have been in place for the duration of the pandemic, remain in place.
"We are extremely grateful to hospital leadership and health care workers who have remained steadfast in prioritizing patient safety as our nation battles COVID-19," says Leah Binder, president and CEO of The Leapfrog Group. "This 'A' is a testament to the care and commitment of those who work for Overland Park Regional Medical Center. With the current pandemic exposing existing flaws within the U.S. health care system, we appreciate you putting patient safety first. Lives depend on it."
Developed under the guidance of a national Expert Panel, the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade uses up to 27 measures of publicly available hospital safety data to assign grades to more than 2,600 U.S. acute-care hospitals twice per year. The Hospital Safety Grade's methodology is peer-reviewed and fully transparent, and the results are free to the public.
Overland Park Regional Medical Center was awarded an 'A' grade today when Leapfrog updated grades for fall 2020. To see Overland Park Regional Medical Center's full grade details and access patient tips for staying safe in the hospital, visit Hospital Safety Grade and follow The Leapfrog Group on Twitter and Facebook.