Neurological disorders treated in south Kansas City
Disorders of the nervous system can affect your entire body and threaten your life or quality of life. The HCA Midwest Neuroscience Institute at Research Medical Center (RMC) draws many resources together to meet your needs in a caring, supportive environment.
Our board-certified, fellowship-trained neurologists, neurosurgeons and other specialists work together, and with you and your regular doctor, from diagnosis through treatment and rehabilitation.
For more information about our Midwest Neuroscience Institute, call (816) 363-2500.
At RMC, you will have access to advanced, specialized care from an experienced team. Some of our neurological specialties include:
- Neurosurgery: Neurosurgery is a highly specialized field dealing with surgical treatment of the brain, spine or nervous system. We have some of the most experienced neurosurgeons in Kansas. Our neurosurgeons are fellowship-trained and board-certified, and many are specially trained in minimally invasive procedures with much smaller incisions and faster recovery times than conventional surgery.
- Neurology: Focusing on diagnosing and treating disorders of the brain, nerves, and spinal cord, our neurologists use advanced technology and extensive experience to pinpoint problems and find the best treatment or management options.
- Neuroimaging: Specialists with advanced training use techniques and technology to create images of the brain's structure, activity or other nervous system parts. Examples are magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computerized tomography (CT), electroencephalogram (EEG), electromyography (EMG), electronystagmography (ENG), evoked potentials and intraoperative EEG monitoring.
- Neuroradiology: This subspecialty of radiology focuses on diagnosing disorders of the brain, spine and nerves using advanced imaging techniques.
- Neurointerventional procedures: Neurointerventional procedures also called endovascular surgical neuroradiology, use advanced imaging and guidance techniques to navigate catheters and other devices through veins and arteries. These minimally invasive techniques can often prevent the need for more extensive surgery, with reduced risks and shorter recovery times.
- Neuro-oncology: Neuro-oncology diagnoses and treats cancers of the nervous system, including the brain and spine.
Neuro conditions we treat
Our experts have the skill, experience and technology to treat all kinds of injuries and disorders affecting the brain, spine or nervous system, including:
- Chronic pain
- Facial pain
- Headache and migraine
- Movement disorders
- Multiple sclerosis
- Sleep disorders
- Spine and brain tumors
- Cerebrovascular accidents (strokes)
- Transient ischemic attack (TIA)
Neurological services we offer
We offer a wide range of neurological services. Also, we coordinate services across multiple specialties, including physical therapy and rehabilitation.
- Neurointerventional medicine: Experts diagnose and treat head and neck disorders without surgery available, 24/7.
- Neuroradiology: Specially trained radiologists offer the region's only radiosurgery treatment program for brain tumors without the use of open surgery.
- Neurointensive care unit (neuro ICU): Our dedicated neuro ICU has critical care staff specially trained to give around-the-clock, specialized care.
- Stroke care: The Joint Commission accredits our Comprehensive Stroke Center. Accreditation means our stroke specialists care for the most complex stroke symptoms, treatment and rehabilitation.
The Joint Commission verifies our stroke center for our team's high level of care and multispecialty approach to complex stroke symptoms, recovery and rehabilitation.
Finding help with care options
We understand the challenges you and your family could face now and in the future. Our Nurses On-Call service has compassionate nurses available to answer your questions and help you find the right specialist.
For more information about Nurses On-Call or to speak to a nurse, call (816) 276-6405.
Neurological care at HCA Midwest Health
Neurological care is the practice of medicine that focuses on the treatment, function and diagnosis of diseases relating to the nerves and nervous system. Neurologists and neurosurgeons treat disorders that affect the brain or spinal cord.Learn about Neurological care