Celebrating our Midwives during National Midwifery Week
Sept. 30-Oct 6 2018!
The largest, most established midwifery program in the Kansas City region.
For a personalized approach to pregnancy and childbirth that supports both your emotional and medical needs, consider a nurse midwife. At HCA Midwest Health, our certified nurse midwives (CNM) offer a more natural and home-like birthing experience with the added safety and security of a complete hospital staff.
Why Choose an HCA Midwest Health Midwife?
- We were the first hospital system in the Kansas City region to offer midwifery services more than 20 years ago
- Each midwife is an advanced practice registered nurse, masters-trained and/or board-certified through the American Midwifery Certification Board
- We are committed to respecting women and their healthcare choices
- You have immediate access to an exceptional team of medical specialists in the event they are needed
- Our CNMs can administer medication and perform procedures
- Births attended by midwives are reported to have lower rates of C-section and episiotomies
- Our Certified nurse midwives partner with their ObGyn colleagues to practice evidence-based medicine and maintain current knowledge about relevant research
- We offer specialized amenities such as spacious rooms, hydrotherapy tubs and gourmet meals | Choose your amenities
- Access to robust breastfeeding resources through certified lactation consultants, breastfeeding education classes and support groups
- Doula referral services if desired
- The option for father-assisted birth
Your CNM will provide:
- Help developing and following a birth plan customized to your needs and wishes
- Education, emotional and social support through pregnancy, delivery and post-partum
- A low intervention birthing experience in a hospital setting
- Options for an unmedicated birth, epidural, nitrous oxide (available at Research Medical Center) or other alternative therapies for pain relief
- Support and encouragement for yourself, as well as family and friends attending the birth
- Guidance to help you bond with your baby and successfully breastfeed
- Vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC) in partnership with OB physicians
Two of our maternity hospitals offer midwifery services:
- Research Medical Center
- Overland Park Regional Medical Cente
Meet Our Midwives
Watch the video playlist below to learn more about our midwives’ care philosophy and how we can customize your birthing experience.
Midwives – Not Just for Childbirth
HCA Midwest Health midwives can also provide comprehensive care for women of all ages:
- Annual well woman exams
- Ongoing Gyn care
- Family planning services including contraceptive treatment (including IUD insertion)
- Management of your well-being during menopause
We offer certified nurse midwife programs at:
- Lee's Summit Medical Center
- Research Medical Center
- Overland Park Regional Medical Center