- Assistance with overnight accommodations for patient support companions
- Cappuccino machines
- Covered parking
- Family meeting rooms
- Flower shop
- Gift shop
- Notary public
- Patient advocates
- Patient mail
- Private and semi-private rooms
- Wireless Internet (Wi-Fi) access - free
New Research Medical Center amenities for patients and families
Having a loved one admitted to the hospital means family likes to be close-which can be challenging if you have to travel several hours. But for many patients and families seeking care at Research Medical Center, that’s exactly what they do to access higher levels of specialized care. Research Medical Center is answering the needs of these patients and families with more guest services and on-campus accommodations. Research Medical Center town homes have multiple beds, full kitchens, parking and more based on availability while a loved one is receiving treatment or is in the hospital. There is a fee for these accommodations. The hospital offers greeters, valet parking and 24-hour security, and every employee is trained to help visitors find their way—all with an eye toward helping patients and families feel more comfortable. Other amenities include an on-site pharmacy, Starbucks Coffee Shop, chapel and dine-in or carryout meal options. Learn more by calling: (816) 276-4000.
Research Medical Center offers free interpretation services for patients and families who are of limited English Proficiency (LEP). Hospital interpreters or contracted services (who work with a variety of languages) are provided upon request. Please speak with your nurse or any member of your care team.
Accessibility services for disabled persons
Other access features of Research Medical Center include:
- Convenient off-street parking designated specifically for disabled persons
- Curb cuts and ramps between parking areas and buildings
- Level access into first floor level with elevator access to all other floors
- Fully accessible offices, meeting rooms, bathrooms, public waiting areas, cafeteria, patient treatment areas, including exam rooms and patient wards
A full range of assistive and communication aids provided to persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind
or with other sensory impairments. There is no additional charge for such aids. Some of these aids
- Qualified sign language interpreters for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing
- A 24 hr telecommunications device (TTY/TDD) which can connect the caller to all extensions within the facility and/or portable (TTY/TDD) units for use by persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired.
- Readers and taped material for the blind and large print materials for the visually impaired
- Flash cards, alphabet boards and other communication boards
- Assistive devices for persons with impaired manual skills.
Safety & security
Please inform your caregiver if you brought small electrical appliances such as a hair dryer or razor. For your safety, such appliances need to be checked to make sure their cords are safe.
If you hear a fire alarm (chimes or bells) or see flashing lights, please stay where you are until you receive further instructions from your caregiver. During an alarm, please leave all fire doors closed for your protection.
To ensure the safety of our patients, some units are locked from approximately 7:00pm - 7:00am, or as needed for security reasons. Please follow instructions on the doors to gain access to the unit.
Lost and Found
If you get home and discover something was left behind, please call Guest Services at (816) 276-4180 to see if it was placed in Lost and Found.
Special regulations are in effect in areas where patients are receiving oxygen. Electrically-operated equipment and aerosol products are not permitted. Absolutely no smoking is permitted in the hospital.
Any safety concern needs to be reported to your caregiver, manager or by calling Security at (816) 276-4411.
Our hospitals have an in-house security department, which provides many services for patients and visitors 24 hours a day. Some of these services include: lost and found, escort services to vehicles, and vehicle assistance. If you need help, contact the nursing staff or call (816) 276-4411 or only extension 4411 from within the hospital.
To maintain a healthy and safe environment for patients and visitors, Research Medical Center is a tobacco free (including cigarettes, electric cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, snuff, pipes, etc.) facility both inside and outside. Tobacco use is not allowed in any of our buildings or on areas maintained by Research Medical Center including grounds, parking lots, ramps, sidewalks, plazas and owned/leased Research Medical Center vehicles. (This policy complies with a standard enacted by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.)
If you have questions about our tobacco-free policy or cessation options that are available while you're on our campus, please talk with your caregiver.