COVID-19 and pregnancy — an update for our patients
We would like to take this opportunity to update you about your maternity care during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and assure you that our dedicated team of expert nurses, physicians and midwives are committed to providing safe and effective care to every patient who walks through our doors.
Women's health services in Leawood, Kansas
Menorah Medical Center is committed to keeping women healthy, which is why we provide comprehensive perinatology, obstetrics, neonatology, gynecology, gynecologic oncology, urology and surgery services. We deliver specialized care for all our patients, from providing family-focused, unique birthing experiences to developing fertility treatments to help you grow your family.
To schedule an appointment with one of our women's care specialists, call (913) 498-6652.
Dedicated women's diagnostic services
We provide thorough women's care services, including diagnostics. In addition to our traditional imaging services, such as abdominal computerized tomography (CT) scans and X-rays, we provide women's imaging and testing procedures, including:
- Colposcopy (examines the cervix)
- Hysterosalpingography (X-ray of the uterus and fallopian tubes)
- Hysteroscopy (examines inside the uterus)
- Mammography and additional forms of breast imaging
- Pap smears (screening for cervical cancer)
Maternity and childbirth care
At The Family Birthing Center, we provide support from the beginning of pregnancy all the way through labor, delivery and the early postpartum days. Our comprehensive care includes:
- High-risk pregnancy care
- Maternity navigators
- On-site neonatal intensive care unit (NICU)
- Parenting and childbirth classes
- Prenatal screenings for mother and baby
- Spacious maternity suites
- Surgical suites for cesarean sections, as needed
- Ultrasound screenings
The Breast Center at Menorah
The Breast Center provides thorough breast care for women in a comfortable, nurturing environment. Our services include breast health education, early detection, breast cancer diagnosis, cancer treatment and survivorship support. Our imaging technology also helps us diagnose other breast conditions, including abnormal growths, cysts, lumps and mastitis.
We use advanced technologies in breast screening and diagnostic procedures, including:
- 3D breast ultrasounds
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Breast ultrasounds
- Digital (3D) mammograms
- Galactograms, also called ductograms
- Minimally invasive and stereotactic breast biopsies
- MRI-guided breast biopsies
- Needle localizations
- Positron emission tomography (PET) and computerized tomography (CT) scans
- Surgical breast biopsies
- Ultrasound-guided biopsies
The Breast Center at Menorah Medical Center is recognized by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) as an Accredited Breast Center.
Additionally, our breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) services are recognized by the American College of Radiology (ACR).
Scheduling your mammogram
We perform digital mammograms at The Breast Center Mon - Thurs: 7:00am - 5:30pm, Fri: 7:00am - 4:00pm and every other Sat: 8:00am - noon.
Our mammogram scheduling line is available Mon - Fri: 7:30am - 6:00pm by calling (913) 498-6266.
Since we use digital mammography, exam times are shorter. We also provide a soft foam cushion during your mammogram to enhance your comfort.
Schedule a Mammogram
You can now schedule a screening mammogram online. For assistance scheduling your screening or diganostic mammogram please call 913-345-3601.
Specialized imaging for dense breast tissue
Women with dense breast tissue may receive imaging results that hide or obscure certain signs of cancer. When this occurs, a mammogram is less reliable in detecting breast cancer early. To better serve all of our patients, we perform 3D ultrasounds to capture detailed images of the breast's structure for women with dense tissue.
If you do not experience dense breast tissue, a mammogram will suffice for your annual screening. Women with dense tissue may receive a breast ultrasound in addition to a screening mammogram. Mammography is still considered the gold standard in breast imaging. However, an additional 3D ultrasound can aid in early detection.
Breast cancer treatment
We are a part of the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health, which is known for providing comprehensive, advanced cancer care. Our cancer treatment team works in a healing environment. The focus is on the whole patient, not just the treatment of the disease. Patients may receive:
- Breast cancer surgery, including mastectomy, lumpectomy and hidden scar procedures
- Breast reconstruction surgery
- Chemotherapy through outpatient infusion services
- Lymphedema treatment
- Radiation treatment, including partial and whole breast radiation
Breast care team
Our team members become your partners throughout each stage of your cancer care. Breast care team members may include:
- Breast health nurse navigator
- Breast oncologists
- Breast surgeons
- Fellowship-trained radiologists in breast imaging
- Genetic counselors
- Medical oncologists
- Oncology social workers
- Radiation oncologists
Breast health nurse navigation
We are proud to have a dedicated breast health nurse navigator to assist our patients throughout their cancer journey. Our nurse navigator is here to:
- Connect patients to outside resources for additional support
- Coordinate care with the entire healthcare team
- Explain diagnosis and treatment options
- Explain prescribed medications
- Inform patients about clinical trials
- Provide educational resources
Breast cancer prevention
Our Breast Cancer Prevention Program is part of the full-service care we provide at The Breast Center. This program focuses on combining the latest scientific and medical knowledge to form a prevention plan that emphasizes surveillance, screening and diagnostic methods for women who are at a high-risk for developing breast cancer.
We help patients understand and manage their risk for breast cancer. By gaining a more accurate estimate of personal risk, chances for the early detection of cancer can be increased through an individualized screening plan. If you think you may be at a high risk or have received an abnormal result on a screening mammogram, call our prevention program at (913) 498-7900.
Breast cancer risk factors
Many factors are considered in determining your risk for breast cancer, such as:
- Abnormal cells identified during breast biopsy
- Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry with a family history of breast, ovarian and/or pancreatic cancers
- Family members diagnosed with breast cancer before 50 years old
- Male family members with breast cancer
- Multiple family members with breast cancer or ovarian cancer at any age
- Previous chest wall radiation for cancer
- Testing positive for certain gene mutations
Family planning and infertility
There are many reasons why someone may experience infertility. Our fertility specialists work hard to identify any problems and recommend a path forward. Possible fertility treatments include:
- Medications that cause ovulation
- Surgery to open fallopian tubes that are blocked
- Surgery to repair problems with ovarian cysts, fibroids and scar tissue
Fertility treatments can be time consuming and expensive. Your doctor may suggest that you first try lifestyle changes, such as:
- Avoiding excessive exercise
- Avoiding tobacco and alcohol usage
- Changing the timing of sexual activity
- Decreasing stress
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Seeking treatment for depression
Women's care at HCA Midwest Health
Whether you are in adolescence or menopause, seeking preventive care or treatment, your individual needs come first. Our commitment is to support you through every stage of life.Learn about Women's care
- Belton Regional Medical Center
- Centerpoint Medical Center
- Lafayette Regional Health Center
- Lee's Summit Medical Center
- Menorah Medical Center
- Overland Park Regional Medical Center
- Research Medical Center
- Research Medical Center - Brookside Campus