Your chances of beating breast cancer increase when detected early, and a mammogram is the single most-effective method of early detection. HCA Midwest Health excels at diagnostic and interventional breast care and offers many services including genetic testing. We are part of the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute, which is renowned for breast care and cancer facilities. Breast imaging can help identify: abnormal growths, breast cancer, cysts, lumps, mastitis, etc.
Types of breast imaging include: 2D and 3D imaging, MRI, ultrasound, digital mammogram, mammography, and stereotactic breast biopsy. For more information about breast cancer screening and imaging, view our flier.
Three-dimensional (3D) mammography, also known as digital mammography with tomosynthesis, is the latest technology in breast mammography. X-ray machines are used to take pictures of thin slices of the breast from different angles and computer software is used to reconstruct an image. This process is similar to how a computed tomography (CT) scanner produces images of structures inside of the body. The Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health features 3D mammography which offers the following benefits to patients:
Benefits of a 3D Mammogram
- Multiple studies have reported that 3D mammography significantly increases breast cancer detection, with a more than 40% increase in the detection of invasive cancers
- Earlier detection of breast cancers
- Clearer lesion image.
- Reduction in the number of unnecessary biopsies, minimizing patient anxiety and unnecessary costs
3D mammography is recommended for patients who have the following:
- Previous mammograms with ambiguous or inconclusive results
- Dense breast tissue
- Been previously called back for repeat breast scans
- Undergone biopsies for suspicious masses or lesions in the past
- Breast cancer, or have a family history of cancer
Anyone can request a 3D mammogram. No doctor's order is necessary for the screening mammogram. Depending on your insurance coverage, additional fees may apply for 3-D mammography. You will be informed about any fees that are the patient's responsibility when checking in for your appointment.
Dense tissue slightly elevates the risk of developing breast cancer and it can also cause difficulty for the radiologist when reading the results of your exam. However, unless you have had a prior mammogram or discussion with your primary care physician, you might be unsure if this condition applies to you. If you require a recommendation, please talk with your mammography technologist who will be glad to discuss breast density with you and make a recommendation. You are welcome to make an election between the 2D and 3D mammography exam at any time before your exam begins.
3D Mammogram Locations
- Belton Regional Medical Center
- Centerpoint Medical Center
- Lee's Summit Medical Center
- Menorah Medical Center
- Overland Park Regional Medical Center
- Research Medical Center
- Research Medical Center Brookside Campus
3D Mammography, 3D, and Genius are trademarks and/or service marks of Hologic, Inc.