Comprehensive Breast Cancer Care in Kansas City
"You have breast cancer" – a sentence no woman ever wants to hear. But unfortunately, those words are spoken to far too many women all over the world. In the U.S., it is estimated that over 266,120 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in 2018. The good news is that death rates have been decreasing since 1989. This is in part due to new treatments, technologies and annual screening.
At the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health, we are committed to providing the women of Kansas City with comprehensive and personalized breast health services – from prevention and screening to advanced diagnostics, multidisciplinary cancer treatment and survivorship care. We offer eight screening locations and seven cancer centers, including four nationally accredited Breast Centers – so you never have to travel far to take care of your pair.
Breast Cancer Screening
Personalized breast care starts with mammogram screening and risk assessment. The breast cancer doctors and clinicians at HCA Midwest Health understand screening saves lives. That's why we make getting your mammogram as convenient and comfortable as possible.
- You never have to travel far: eight locations throughout the KC area
- We work around your schedule: Saturday appointments, extended hours and no appointment necessary at several locations
- Schedule the way you want: offering online scheduling or call (816) 823-0011
- Maximize comfort during screening: digital mammography designed for dense breasts, patient-friendly compression paddles and Bella Blankets
- Experience high-quality care: Highly skilled and dedicated breast doctors, nurses and technicians
- Offering advanced technology: including 3D mammography™ that can produce clearer images and reduce unneeded biopsies
- Complementary professional risk assessment: All women seen for mammogram screening will be offered professional risk assessment as a part of our Breast Education and Awareness (BE Aware) program. Risk assessment is coordinated by our genetic counselors
- Individualized screening plans: Our breast cancer prevention programs help women manage their personal risk and may increase the chance of early cancer detection
Learn more about breast imaging and mammography in KC.
Breast Cancer Treatment
Every woman is unique. Everyone’s genetic makeup is different and every woman’s cancer will respond differently to treatment. That’s why at the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Midwest Health, breast cancer treatment is designed to fit your individual needs. With seven breast cancer hospitals in Kansas City, world-class cancer care is located right here in your own backyard, offering:
- molecular profiling: tailor your cancer treatment on a molecular level
- personal nurse navigators: cancer can be overwhelming, our nurse navigators guide you through every step
- access to clinical trials: the latest cancer treatments, with the support of a national cancer network
- innovative treatments: that not only help you conquer cancer, but maintain your self-confidence
- a comprehensive wellness program: focusing on exercise, nutrition and emotional well-being which can help reduce many side effects, lower your risk of recurrence and may improve your chances of survival
Learn more about the treatment of breast cancer in Kansas City.
Breast Cancer Prevention
Take control of your breast health
Learn About Your Risk
- Talk to your family and learn about your family health history.
- Take a free Online Breast Cancer Risk Assessment (above).
- Talk to your primary care physician about your risk for breast cancer and when you should begin screening. Take your online health risk assessment results to your office visit. It can be a helpful tool to facilitate a conversation with your Kansas City doctor.
Learn more about breast cancer risk assessment from Dr. Lori by watching the video below!
Conduct Regular Self-Exams
Breasts can differ in size, shape and density. And many times, one of your breast will be slightly different from the other. The KC breast health experts at Sarah Cannon HCA Midwest Health recommend women 20 years old and older conduct monthly self-breast exams. This will help you get to know your body and what’s normal for you. Learn how to conduct a self-breast exam.
When It’s Time – Get Screened Regularly
The goal of screening is to catch cancer early – when it is more easily treatable. Breast cancer screening includes three types:
- Clinical Breast Exam – This is usually performed by your OB, midwife or family practice doctor during your yearly well-woman visit. Your doctor will check for lumps or other abnormalities in the breast and underarm area.
- Mammogram – This is an X-ray of the breast. It helps detect tumors that are too small to feel, as well as ductal carcinoma in situ (very early non-invasive breast cancer).
- MRI – Typically used for women at high-risk for breast cancer, this test uses magnetic, radio waves and a computer to create detailed images of the breasts and surrounding area.
View our breast screening guidelines.
Signs of Breast Cancer
Know your normal. And if you detect any of the following signs, don’t delay seeing a doctor. Early detection is your best protection.
- New lump inside the breast or under arm
- Painful nipple or nipple turning inward
- Swelling or redness
- Irritation or dimpling skin
- Roughness or scaling of the breast or nipple
- Nipple discharge or leakage
- Pain in the breast or nipple
Hear from a patient about the importance of early detection: