A girl on my daughter’s basketball team hurt her knee during a tournament. We were all shocked to learn it would take at least a month to see a specialist. How can this be?
It’s estimated that about every 25 seconds a young athlete is rushed to an emergency room for a sports-related injury. It’s also estimated that every 3 minutes a child is seen for a sports-related concussion. Yet, despite these staggering numbers, the ball is often dropped when it comes to getting young athletes prompt medical care.
HCA Midwest Health’s goal is to return young athletes to the field of play as quickly and safely as possible. That’s why our hospitals and community-based emergency rooms offer the shortest ER wait times in the Kansas City area. In fact, average ER wait times at HCA Midwest Health are consistently faster than local and national averages. And with 11 pediatric-ready ERs conveniently located throughout the region, treatment is always close to where your child plays and is available 24/7.
If your young athlete doesn’t necessarily need to go to the ER but instead requires the help of a specialist, we can get them in quickly and back on the road to recovery.
Our approach covers all aspects of care for athletes of all levels.
Assessment and treatment include the latest advances in orthopedic surgery. We also provide baseline concussion testing, which helps physicians see if results have changed should a concussion occur. In the event of a concussion, our Sports Medicine specialists use ImPACT™, a neurocognitive test that helps physicians evaluate an athlete’s recovery following a concussion. It can measure memory, processing and reaction time and is the most widely used test of its kind. It’s currently the choice of Major League Baseball, the NHL, NBA, MLS and NFL.
Our Sports Medicine programs provide athletic training services for student and professional athletes throughout the Kansas City area. We partner with local teams, working to keep kids on the field and help them stay safe.
Many of our partners include:
- Kansas City Sports Club Baseball and Softball
- Sporting Lee’s Summit Soccer
- Football and Cheerleading Club of Johnson County
- Wellsville (Kan.) High School
- Kansas City Youth Hockey Association
- Kansas City Christian School (Kan.)
- Heartland Soccer Association
- Belton (Mo.) School District
- Missouri Mavericks
- Grandview (Mo.) School District
- Raymore-Peculiar (Mo.) School District
- Harrisonville (Mo.) School District
- Belton Parks & Recreation Department
- Kansas City Majestics Women’s Pro Basketball
- Holden (Mo.) High School
- Pleasant Hill (Mo.) High School
- Longview Community College
- Kingsville (Mo.) High School
- Summit Christian Academy (Mo.)
- Lone Jack (Mo.) High School
- NAIA Men’s & Women’s Basketball Championships
- Blue River Community College
- Grain Valley (Mo.) High School
- Oak Grove (Mo.) High School
- Truman High School (Mo.)
- William Chrisman High School (Mo.)
- Van Horn High School (Mo.)
- Independence (Mo.) Middle School
- Lexington (Mo.) High School
- Center High School and Middle School (Mo.)
- Rockhurst University
- Bishop O’Hara High School (Mo.)
- University of Missouri, Kansas City
- KC Blues Rugby
If your athlete needs quality care to get back in the game, HCA Midwest Health offers a health advice and physician referral service. You can speak to a registered nurse 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, free of charge. They can help you find a physician that is close to home and fits your needs. To speak with a registered nurse call 1-800-386-9355 or visit our online physician finder. With flexible scheduling and convenient locations, you’ll never have to wait months to see a specialist again.