(Kawasaki Syndrome; Mucocutaneous Lymph Node Syndrome)
Early symptoms (in first 2 weeks) may include
- High fever—lasting for at least five days and usually greater than 102°F (38.8°C)
- Conjunctivitis (also known as “pink eye”)—red or “bloodshot” whites of the eye
- Soreness and swelling of the mouth, lips, and throat
- Strawberry tongue—white/yellow coating and bright red bumps on tongue
- Swollen hands and feet that may look red
- Swollen lymph nodes (organs of the immune system) in the neck
Later symptoms (within 2 weeks of the start of fever) may include:
- Peeling of skin on hands and feet
- Joint problems
- Diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
Intravenous Gamma Globulin
- Preventing the formation of blood clots
- Reducing fever
- Easing joint swelling
- Treating rashes
American Heart Association http://www.americanheart.org/
Kawasaki Disease Foundation http://www.kdfoundation.org/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index%5Fe.html/
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada http://ww2.heartandstroke.ca/
Kawasaki Disease. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/CardiovascularConditionsofChildhood/Kawasaki-Disease%5FUCM%5F308777%5FArticle.jsp . Accessed on December 10, 2012.
Kawasaki diseases. American Academy of Family Physicians Family Doctor.org website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/kawasaki-disease.html . Accessed on December 10, 2012.
Kawasaki diseases. Nemours KidsHealth website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/heart/kawasaki.html . Updated September 2011. Accessed on December 10, 2012.
Kawasaki diseases. Cincinnati Children's Hospital website. Available at: http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/k/kawasaki/ . Updated May 2012. Accessed on December 10, 2012.
Kawasaki disease. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated May 7, 2012. Accessed December 10, 2012.
Newburger JW, Takahashi M, Gerber MA, et al. AHA scientific statement: diagnosis, treatment, and long-term management of Kawasaki Disease. Circulation . 2004;110:2747-2771.
Taubert KA, Shulman ST. Cardiovascular medicine: Kawasaki disease. Am Fam Physician . 1999;59(11).
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -