|Front Muscles of Trunk|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle pain
- Great effort needed to climb stairs
- Trouble rising from a chair
- Difficulty reaching overhead
- Chronic dry cough
- Blood tests to check for elevated muscle enzymes and autoimmune antibodies
- Electromyogram (EMG) to measure muscle activity
- Muscle biopsy
- Corticosteroids to reduce inflammation
- Topical steroids to treat skin rash
- A regular stretching routine for weakened arms and legs
- Light strengthening as the pain lessens and function returns
American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association http://www.aarda.org
The Myositis Association http://www.myositis.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
The Arthritis Society http://www.arthritis.ca
Choy EH, Hoogendijk JE, Lecky B, Winer JB, Gordon P. Immunosuppressant and immunomodulatory treatment for dermatomyositis and polymyositis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2009;(4):CD003643.
Idiopathic inflammatory myopathy: treatment. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what. Updated April 7, 2013. Accessed July 31, 2013.
Myositis. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Ortho Info website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00198. Updated July 2007. Accessed July 31, 2013.
Myositis Association. Getting diagnosed. The Myositis Association website. Available at: http://www.myositis.org/learn-about-myositis/diagnosis. Updated March 2012. Accessed July 31, 2013.
Myositis Association. Myositis FAQ. Myositis Association website. Available at: http://www.myositis.org/learn-about-myositis/types-of-myositis. Updated March 2012. Accessed July 31, 2013.
Myositis Association. Treatment. Myositis Association website. Available at: http://www.myositis.org/learn-about-myositis/treatment. Updated March 2012. Accessed July 31, 2013.
NINDS Polymyositis information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/polymyositis/polymyositis.htm. Updated August 26, 2011. Accessed July 31, 2013.
Simply stated: the creatine kinase test. Quest. 2000;7(1).
- Reviewer: John C. Keel, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 06/03/2013 -